As we get older, our production of collagen slows down. Over time this can contribute to changes in our face with the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, sagging skin, as well as the loss of volume. These become more pronounced as time passes. Men and women alike are embracing the use of dermal fillers, a minimally invasive cosmetic treatment, as a way to smooth out those lines and wrinkles and restore some of the volume of our youth. While you cannot stop the aging process, aesthetic treatments such as dermal fillers can help “reset the clock” on aging, giving you a more refreshed look.
Most of the popular dermal fillers are made up of hyaluronic acid, which is a naturally occurring molecule that is already found in our bodies, especially in the cells around the joints and skin. Hyaluronic acid retains moisture and keeps our skin and joints supple and healthy.
Another class of filler includes the semi-permanent kind, composed of synthetic substances which provide longer-lasting results.
During your consultation, your doctor at Cold Spring Plastic Surgery will examine your face and discuss the various options for a dermal filler that is available to correct your condition. Your doctor will discuss your treatment plan with you in order to help you determine which method of treatment would be best for you.
After applying a topical numbing cream and using a thin needle, your doctor will place the dermal filler into the desired area[s] of your face. Typically these areas are the apples of your cheeks, your laugh lines,, the hollows under your eyes, and your lips. For areas that have severe wrinkles, a combination of a dermal filler and BOTOX® Cosmetic may be recommended.
Dermal fillers can be used in the following facial areas:
- Forehead – to lessen the appearance of horizontal wrinkles and frown lines
- Nasolabial area – to fill in the smile lines or nasolabial folds that run from the corner of your nose to your mouth
- Under-eye area – to rejuvenate the dark circles or sunken under-eye area
- Cheeks – to plump up the midface
- Nose – also known as “liquid rhinoplasty”
- Chin – to lessen the marionette lines from the corner of your mouth to your chin, define your jawline, or to soften jowls
- Lips – to provide more definition or volume
- Temples – to address hollowing here
- Hands – to smooth out the backs of your hands and diminish the appearance of veins and
You may or may not experience slight and temporary bruising, swelling, redness, or itching at your injection sites. But, if you do experience these uncommon side effects, they typically go away within 24 hours. You can return to normal activities shortly afterward.
Please contact us to schedule an appointment with one of the physicians at Cold Spring Plastic Surgery to learn more about dermal fillers and what they can do for you. Our board-certified professionals are dedicated to providing you with the highest quality care. Please call us at 631-470-9650 or click here to schedule an appointment.
Posted in: Latest News